Application for practising certificate - New Entrant/Returning Registrant

Firstly, you will need to be registered before you can be issued with a practising certificate. You can apply for registration and for a practising certificate at the same time, or alternatively, if you do not wish to start practising immediately you are able register first and then apply for a practising certificate at a later date.

Download an Application for Practising Certificate , and a payment form  containing a schedule of the fees.  Complete these two forms and send them to the Council, with the appropriate fee, to apply for your practising certificate.

This form should be used by practitioners applying for their first practising certificate in New Zealand, or by practitioners already registered in New Zealand but who do not hold a current practising certificate.

If you delay between obtaining registration and applying for a practising certificate, or if you have been absent from the profession in New Zealand and do not currently hold a New Zealand practising certificate, then you need to provide details of any Compulsory Professional Development/Education (CPD) and work experience you have completed during the previous 12 months.

These details should be enclosed with your application.  If this is not applicable to your situation, you should enclose an explanatory letter, addressed to the Council, explaining the reasons for the absence of CPD or work experience.

If all documentation is correct, the process of issuing a practising certificate takes at least 5 working days depending on Registrar's workload.

Before you apply for a practising certificate you are advised to read the information on restrictions to the issue of an APC.